10 November, 2010

Souffle Swiss Roll with my Favourite Jam


I always love swiss roll especially the traditional types - those that has jam inside. I remember my first swiss roll was made when I was only 13 years old in one of the home economic classes. Eating this again bring back fond memories.

The souffle roll recipe is from Okashi by Keiko Ishida with some modification by me.

Ingredients

 1 whole egg
 3 egg yolks
1tsp of vanilla extract
35g of unsalted butter
60g top flour
recipe suggests sifting twice, but I sifted once only
60g Skim milk 
 recipe suggests whole milk (then again, I forgot to put it in, but thank God, it turns out well)
3 egg whites
85g of castor sugar

The steps are more than making normal swiss roll sponge but when I see the results, I do not mind the hard works.

Directions
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line cake pan with a baking paper.

Combine the whole egg and the yolks together. Add in the vanilla extract. Beat lightly and set aside

Place butter in saucepan and use gentle heat. When the butter melts, add in the flour and cook thoroughly.


Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add in the egg mixture little at a time to the butter-flour mixture. Mix into a smooth batter. Incorporate the milk into the batter. Then strain it  and set aside.



Proceed to make the meringue. Whip the egg whites in a clean bowl till foamy. Add the sugar in slowly while whipping. Whip till stiff peak form.


Then add the meringue into the egg mixture in 3 parts and fold in gently.



Once incorporated, pour it into the prepared cake tin and spread evenly. Place in the preheated oven for 20 min.

Once done, take it out and and let it cool.

While waiting for it to cool,

I will start making the whipped cream. I am still not very successful. My whipped cream tend to curb up quite easily (no photo taken too -->so sorry)

Ingredients for whipped cream

100g of whipping cream (35% fat) -->
I used France manufactured ones. Though more expensive, but i think it tastes better.
7 g of caster sugar
0.5 tsp of vanilla extract

Combine all the above in a clean bowl and whip it till stiff peak is form but cream is still smooth (sadly,  I am still unsuccessful )

Assemble the swiss roll

Turn the cooled souffle sponge onto a clean surface. Peel off the baking paper. Spread the whipped cream evenly over the sponge. Then top with your favourite jam. For me, it is Smucker's Goober Grape :)



Gently roll up the sponge and be careful not to break the sponge but not to worry, souffle sponge is easier to roll than the normal swiss roll sponge. As you can see, I can still need alot of practises rolling it into swiss roll. Hopefully, it will look better next time.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Tes said...

Wow your swiss roll looks so delicious and beautiful! I just want a slice of it :)

Me said...

Hi Tes,

Thanks for dropping by. I must say the swiss roll tasted fantastic. You must try if you have time..:)

briarrose said...

Looks fabulous.