13 November, 2010

Macaroons Finally!


Why did I title this blog as " Macaroons Finally"? It is really "finally". "FINALLY", after 3 trial and errors, I have managed to make macaroons look like macaroons. (I am not exagerating.) The sense of achievement is not so much about being successful  but that I did not give up.

Was glad that my deduction for the cause of failure was right too. Have failed for the past 2 times due to the meringue. Either it was over-beaten or under-beaten. Hence it is important to get the consistency of the meringue right. Another reason for failing was not letting it sit in warm place (before baking), till the batter does not stick (what it means is  that when you touch it, the batter will not stick to your hand). If you did not place it out in open before baking, you will find that the macaroons will end up looking like another cookies.( these are just my 2 cents' worth, I am just a stubborn amature baker for macaroons)

Actually I do not like to eat macaroons but I was inspired by Evan's Kitchen Ramblings. Kudos for all the beautiful colours of macaroons and the photos taken.

Ingredients
For macaroons (makes 10)
40g ground almond
75g icing sugar
10g cocoa powder
1 egg white
10 g caster sugar
2 drops of red food colouring

 100g chocolate ganache (look below for instruction)

Directions


Whiz the ground almond, cocoa powder and icing sugar in a food processor. This will make the mixture finer. Used a spatula to prevent the mixture from sticking,


Sift the mixture through a sieve. Set it aside


Whisk the egg white. When they begin to hold its shape, slowly add the sugar and continue to whisk until the white is firm. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. The consistency will affect the outcome. Add the food colouring, drop by drop and mix gently with a spatula till the colour is uniform.


Pour in the dry mixture into the whites in small batches. Incorporating each addition with a spatula. You want an evenly blended mixture.


Fill a piping bag and form small macaroons, well spaced on the prepared baking paper.
Then preheat the oven to 160°C

Leave the macaroons in the warmest part of the kitchen. I left my tray in front of the oven. It took about 1 and the half hour. For some, it may take several hours if the air is damp.  Press lightly on the macaroons and make sure that it does not stick to your finger.



Transfert the tray to the oven and bake for 11 mins for the small macaroons. Adjust the timing according to the size of macaroons.


Wait until the macaroons to cool before peeling them from paper

While baking or cooling the macaroons, can proceed to prepare the ganache

For Chocolate Ganache
50g plain dark chocolate
1 tsp single cream
50ml of milk

  1. Put the milk and cram in a small saucepan and bring to boil.
  2. Remove from heat and add the chocolate. Stir till it melts. 
  3. Return to medium heat and cook for 2 min till it bubbles. Ensure that you stir continuously with a flexible spatula. (Do buy one that is heat-resistant)
  4. Once done, use immediately or cover with a cling wrap directly in contact with ganache. Leave to cool in fridge.
The Final Touch


Use a butter knife to spread the ganache on the flat side of the macaroons. Press together till the ganache spreads to the side.

Be very proud of yourself once you succeed.


Enjoy!

5 comments:

Boulder Locavore said...

These look delicious! I never knew how to make the outer parts of the macaroon; thank you for the details and photo!

I also love your profile photo on FoodBuzz. I lived in a Singapore for 6 months and have visited several times. Fabulous fabulous food town! Yum.

Stephanie said...

Yep - not many people appreciate the skill that goes into the perfect little skirt and top! You did a great job. Thanks for sharing.

Me said...

Hi Boulder Locavore and Stephanie,
Thanks for the comments and the encouragement. Macaroons is definitely not a must eat dessert for me, but I definitely appreciate the details that go into it. Will be trying my hands on other flavours and colours.
Come by again:)

Yin said...

Yes, on the spirit of never give up ;-P

I was introduced this dessert by my friend when I mentioned what to do with the egg white I had after making egg tarts.

But when I google on the making, I gave up. :-(

Cristina - TeenieCakes said...

Congratulations on your successful macarons. They are quite a challenge and it feels so good to have formed feed/pied (the skirted pleats) on the shells. It's too bad you don't like eating them too after all that work and accomplishment. ;)