03 November, 2010

I love Pecan Tart


My ambition is to master all the foods I love. Pecan tart is my favourite. Eat it warm with one scoop of vanilla ice cream. I will drool at the thought of it. Been looking around for a reliable pecan recipe and came across a cookbook - Pastry: Savoury & Sweet by Michel Roux. I have modified the recipe slightly to suit my style of cooking - which made it easier and more convenient for my sake

Sweet Pastry

250g plain flour
100g butter, slightly softened and cubed
100g icing sugar
pinch of salt
2 eggs

I use a kitchenaid for mixing. Very easy to use. Use paddle for mixing. Put the flour, butter, salt and sugar together. mix it on low for 10 min and add in the eggs, Mix till everything come together. Once done, pour it out on cling wrap, roll into a ball and wrap it. Refrigerate it for  1 to 2 hrs.

Wile waiting for the dough to be ready, can start on the filling.

Pecan filling
230g butter, softened ( I know it is very fattening, hence I resist eating often)
80g golden syrup
150g caster sugar
3 eggs
330g shelled pecan nuts
50g plain flour

Whisk, the butter, syrup, sugar and egg together. Mix the chopped pecan and flour into the filling. Mix thoroughly but be careful not to overmix,

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Take out the pastry (after 1 hour) and roll it out. Make sure that you do not roll it too thin as it will break easily. Roll out to the dough to about 5mm to the size of your quiche tin. Use it to line the quiche tin. Using your fingertips and gently pressing the dough to side (don't be too hard on yourself if you think it does not look nice--> can try it again next time)
Line the quiche tin with baking paper and fill it with baking bean (I use soya beans). Bake in the oven for 20 min. Once baked, remove the beans and paper. Put the pastry back to oven to bake the base of the pastry for another 10 min.

Reduce the temperature of the oven to 170°C. Pour the mixture slowly into the cooked pastry case, Arrange the pecan on top and bake in the oven for 20-25 min, until the top is firm to touch.

Let it cool for 15 minutes before serving. Taste best when it is served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Enjoy!

No comments: